Sunday, December 17, 2006

Sunday, December 17, 2006

As the holidays come rushing up on us, I find myself at the last minute trying to figure out my shopping list. Who do I give gifts to this year and what to give them? I want to give to so many people this year because of all the generous people who came into our lives and took care of us when we needed it the most. Since my new job of taking care of Molly doesn't pay so great, I can't do the shopping I feed compelled to.

In October we were invited to the Home Builder's Foundation annual luncheon to recognize all of the builders, suppliers, architects, and workers who contributed to the Foundation throughout the year. The HBF completed 53 projects this year retrofitting people's homes to accommodate their special needs. We felt very privileged to be included in this group of recipients. We met several of the families that were taken care of by the HBF, some of whom had extreme needs. Our project was minor compared to some of the others that this foundation takes on. I was struck by the comments made by many of the contractors about their love of this kind of work. These people make Christmas happen all year long. They truly live the giving spirit on a daily basis. I was told by Cindy Hoover, the foundation director, that every year it is basically the same group of people who consistently donate time, supplies, labor, and money. I decided today that the money I planned to spend on gifts for my family this season is going to be donated to the HBF in their names. I can't think of a better way to honor my family and try to pay forward a little of the kindness that was granted us this year. This group gave us a comfortable place to come home to that has allowed Molly to begin returning to a new normal life. They gave her the ability to reclaim her freedom, independence and dignity by making our house accessible. Thank you everyone. If your gifting includes charitable organizations, please consider the Home Builder's Foundation. These donations are tax deductible. You can go to their website at www.hbfdenver.org or call Cindy Hoover at 303-328-2312. Their address is 1400 South Emerson St., Denver, CO 80210.

Here's wishing everybody a safe and happy holiday season. God bless you all!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this beautiful letter. You have helped all of us realize the true spirit of giving.

An old-er East High Angel (Class of '63)

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the wonderful suggestion of giving to the Homebuilders--we'll definitely do that! Merry Christmas to your beautiful family and all the very best in 2007.
A retired East Angel

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Bob, Bernie, Katy and Molly, What a wonderful idea to give to the Homebuilders what you would spend on family. My family has done that the last few years. We all pick a charity and give to that. Homebuilders is a great choice. Merry Christmas and may God Bless you all.
I have to tell you of my neighbor who works for the post office. His job is to process all mail that has illegible addresses. Two weeks ago a letter came in shaky handwriting to God with no actual address. He opened it and it said, "Dear God, I am an 86 year old widow who lives on social security. Yesterday my purse was stolen, which had $100.00 in it, which is all the money I have until next month. On Christmas Eve I planned to have three friends over for dinner. Without that money I have nothing to buy food with. I have no family to turn to and you are my only hope. Edna
My neighbor was so touched by her letter he showed it to all the other postal workers. One by one they dug in their pockets and gave what they could. After he made all the rounds he had $95.00. So he put it in an envelope and sent it to the woman. For the rest of the day everyone at the post office felt really good for what they did. Yesterday he got another letter from the same old lady to God. All the workers gathered around as he opened it. It said, "Dear God, How can I ever thank you for the money. Because of your gift of love my friends and I had a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner. We had a wonderful day and I told all my friends of your gift. By the way, there was $5.00 missing. I bet it was those bastards at the post office.
Stay strong and stay cool,
Denver Bob

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy holidays to the bloom family and all of you who have shared with the blooms over the last months! i am so glad that molly has a chance for independent living through the kindness from all of you!

the donation is a great idea! bless all of you through the holidays and may you have an adventureous new year!

ol' east mom

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Bernie,
It amazes me how kind you are to think of others when your needs are so great. Your letter touched me enough to send a small donation to the Homebuilders...what an amazing group of human beings!

I wish you and your family a wonderful holiday and may you continue to be blessed in the New Year.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its Christmas time again
The season of renewal
Love, faith, charity
And all that is beautiful
Chimes greatly in to every heart
Beating in celebrations
Of Spirit, togetherness, and affirmation.

Wishing the Bloom's (Bob, Bernie, Molly & Katy) a Very Merry Christmas.

The new year will have amazing wonders for you all.

5:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Bernie,
Since our phone conversations have been so short the past few weeks, it's a good thing I came here today. What a wonderful idea. And we'll be following suit this week. We can be grateful everyone in the family is somewhere safe today--maybe not exactly where they had planned to be, but safe.
Love you all. See you soon.
Peggy

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who would have thought molly would come so far in so little time. here's hoping the bloom's had a peaceful holiday and looking forward to more progress in 2007!!! it is so nice to see the smiling picture posted of molly. please keep us posted. i am sure i speak for everybody who checks back here regularly for updates. Happy is has been more and more good news.

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy new year molly. fresh slate. fresh start. fresh dreams. go get 'em!

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto, ditto! It's a new year, Molly. 2007 is going to be an amazing new adventure for you ... and if anyone can take it on it's you. You inspire us all to reach for our dreams ... did you ever imagine what an impact your life would have on so many, many people??!! You go, girl! We will continue to think about you, pray for you and cheer you on from our little corners of the world. You are AWESOME! Thanks, Bernie, for sharing your life and struggles and daughter with us. Please continue to keep us posted in this new year. We love you
An East Angel mom

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey molly, i dont know if you remember me, but its crystal hoffman. we used to go to school and brownies together. if you could give me your number that way i can call you, that would be awesome. we need to catch up. i am so glad to hear you are ok.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home